Mental Health Counselor - Baystate Health
Category(s): Behavioral Health, Mental Health Counselor
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, performs a wide variety of duties involving patient management, therapeutic interaction, and physical care of patients admitted to the Inpatient Psychiatric Unit. The incumbent is expected to adhere to System and department compliance policies and all applicable laws and regulations. This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Participates in a Multidisciplinary Team approach to patient care. Is familiar with admission and progress notes of team members to develop a better understanding of patients. Collaborates with the team in evaluating patients, planning therapy, and developing treatment goals. Reports observations of patients’ status to the team and provides input in the preparation and updating of the treatment plans. Assists team members in providing care to patients and follows through with team decisions. Welcomes new staff and assists in orienting them to the department.
2) Provides a safe environment. Conducts daily sharps checks on patients upon arrival and when indicated by the Team. Intervenes appropriately during crises by providing support and patient escorts and authorizes restraint and seclusions. Maintains safety by monitoring groups, time-aways, and restraint and seclusions. Observes potential safety hazards on the unit and report hazards immediately to supervisors. Maintains safety by adhering to behavior management principles including Collaborative Problem Solving techniques.
3) Documents patient mental status, social behavior, and progress toward identifying goals daily.
Documents the ongoing assessment of patients by completing monitoring and rounds sheets. Documents restraints and seclusions per policies. Documents all necessary information in EMR as dictated by policy and procedure.
4) Provides a therapeutic milieu. Assesses patient mental status social and symptomatic behavior and progress towards identified goals daily. Counsels patients with empathy and respect to assist them to formulate treatment goals. Refers patients’ physical problems to RN for assessment and intervention. Collaborates with the team to initiate and implement a plan of care to meet the ADL needs of patients who are unable to perform these tasks themselves. Identifies patient knowledge deficits and implements appropriate teaching in collaboration with the team.
Assists in the development and implementation of special approaches and provide 1:1 intervention when indicated. Adheres to defined boundaries and guidelines regarding self-disclosure with patients. Co-facilitates group therapy and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed. Develops plans and implements psycho-educational groups and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed.
5) Demonstrates accountability for personal and professional growth.
Demonstrates support for the philosophy of the program and adhering to policies, procedures, and standards. Attends all mandatory in-services on an annual basis. Collaborates with supervisors to identify their own professional goals and seeks experience to accomplish these goals. Assists with the identification of program in-service needs.
6) Demonstrates effective use of behavior management principles and Collaborative Problem Solving techniques. Develops and implements special programming. Assists co-workers in daily activities and replaces them as needed.
7) Demonstrates competency for one-to-one observation of patients based on department and unit-specific needs.
8) Must complete department-specified de-escalation training within 30 days of hire.
Required Work Experience:
1) 1 year of healthcare experience
Preferred Work Experience:
Skills and Competencies:
1) Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2) Excellent computer skills.
3) Excellent interpersonal skills.
4) Age Specific Competencies in- service or equivalent training.
5) Behavior Management Training/Collaborative Problem Solving.
6)Restraint and Seclusion in service or equivalent training
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science, High School Diploma (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – Other, Certified Crisis Prevention – Crisis Prevention Institute
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.