Facilities - Baystate Health
Category(s): Trades/Engineering/Facilities, Facilities
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Under the direction of the Supervisor Power Plant or designee, the control room/boiler operator is responsible for safely performing a combination of functions on an assigned shift including, but not limited to, operating high pressure steam boilers, gas turbine generator, HRSG heat recovery and steam plant auxiliary equipment. Steam absorber and electric chiller operation and cooling tower control within the cogen/power plant as well as performs preventive maintenance as directed. This description covers the essential functions of the position.
1) Operate the steam boilers, gas turbine generator and all auxiliary equipment to maintain the necessary Medical Center demands.
2) Monitor established operating parameters of the gas turbine generator/HRSG, stand-by steam boilers and associated plant equipment. Monitor off-site equipment via Web Control.
3) Assures that the Steam Absorber, Chillers and related equipment are operating properly and efficiently. Checks and accurately records appropriate equipment related information, checks accuracy of meters, cleans chiller tubes, collects chill and condenser water samples for chemical level testing.
4) Maintains work area in a safe, clean and orderly manner. Maintains cleanliness in assigned areas as indicated on the FPE Fireman's Weekly Duty List PM assigned to shift.
5) Operate the Power Plant and take appropriate actions to safeguard shift personnel and equipment when normal operating parameters are exceeded. Oversee the safe delivery of fuel to the plant.
6) Perform necessary tests to determine water purity and take necessary action to remedy as required. Must observe and follow all safety rules and regulations including, but not limited to, Confined Space Entry, Lockout/Tagout, etc., as well as be familiar with chemical safety and Materials Safety Data Sheets.
7) Checks and records appropriate equipment related information, maintain written log book, making note of unusual or suspicious information per procedure and contact appropriate management personnel when necessary. Ensures that all
steam pressures are maintained appropriately.
8) Work in support of other trades as needed.
9) Must be capable of utilizing all power plant-related tools and equipment, as well as all computer-related systems.
10) Accurately and legibly records meter and oil tank readings on a daily basis. Calculates boiler efficiencies. Initiate actions necessary to improve operating efficiency of the plant facilities.
11) Perform other job related duties as assigned.
12) Startup and and shutdown of the boilers and equipment as directed, lubricate machinery and equipment as assigned.
13) Keep the manager of the Power Plant informed of all operational and safety issues as observed while performaing operational duties.
Required Work Experience:
1) Boiler operating experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Gas Turbine operating experience
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must be able to operate high pressure steam boilers safely and effeciently as well as a gas turbine generator
2) Must understand the elements of water treatment as it pertains to steam boilers
3) Must be able to do minor repairs as needed
4) Must be self-motivated and a self-starter
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Fireman License – Class II – Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Fire Service
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.