Medical Coding - Baystate Health
Category(s): Information Technology/Health Information Management, Medical Coding
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
This position is responsible for the accurate coding of inpatient medical records. All tasks need to be performed following the Operating Principles of Baystate Health
1) Review medical record documentation for the accurate assignment of ICD-10-CM and PCS codes to medical records.
2) Ensure the quality and integrity of coding which includes accurate determination of principal diagnosis, secondary diagnoses, primary procedure and secondary procedures based on all approved documentation in an inpatient/outpatient record and the appropriate code assignment based on coding conventions.
3) Participates in educational coding meetings virtually or onsite.
4) Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
5) Contributes to the general efficiency of the section and the department.
6) Works with HIM Compliance to address documentation and improve quality.
7) Meets, maintains and/or exceeds the departmental policy on productivity and quality.
8) Assists in training of Coding Specialist-Associate when needed.
Required Work Experience:
1) 2-4 years experience as a coder in a hospital setting
Preferred Work Experience:
Skills and Competencies:
1) Thorough knowledge of ICD-10-CM and PCS codes and DRG's as appropriate
2) Knowledge of Computer applications for the healthcare field
3) Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team
4) CCS certification and/or working towards certification
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Coding Specialist – American Health Information Management Association, Certified Professional Coder – American Academy of Professional Coders
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.