Medical Coding - Baystate Health
Category(s): Information Technology/Health Information Management, Medical Coding
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
This position is responsible for accurate surgical, diagnostic and procedure coding of inpatient, outpatient and hospital charges for professional services, adhering to all governmental/carrier and coding guidelines. All tasks need to be performed following the Operating Principles of Baystate Health.
1) Mastered proficiency in all essential functions of the Coding Associate position.
2) Accurately perform coding of professional services identifying primary diagnosis, secondary diagnoses, primary procedure and secondary procedures through in-depth chart review of clinical documentation.
3) Proficiency in more complex medical coding including but not limited to Neonatal Intensive Care, Psychiatry, Cardiology, Adult Intensive Care, Neurology and Hematology/Oncology; requires review of provider clinical documentation.
4) Ability to accurately code more complex procedures including but not limited to Gastroenterology and Pulmonary endoscopies and General Surgery based on in-depth chart review of provider clinical documentation and pathology reports.
5) Collaboration with Compliance, Audit and Education to address provider documentation issues and improve quality.
6) Review coding issues through Invoice Correction Forms; work closely with the billing Accounts Receivable and Appeals to provide guidance on successful resolution of denied claims.
7) Reconciliation of missing charges; create documentation to share with leadership, providers and Compliance staff.
8) Provides guidance to Coding Associates on day-to-day questions.
9) Attends and actively participates in face-to-face provider training sessions.
10) Participation in all educational opportunities offered through the department
11) Meets, exceeds and sustains a 95% accuracy rate for quality and productivity as determined by department policy.
12) Computer proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office.
13) Active participation in group activities, teamwork; actively engaged.
14) Proficiency working in a fast-paced, changing landscape; adapt well to change and contribute to the overall efficiency of the department.
Required Work Experience:
1) One year coding experience coding for a single or multi-specialty provider-based practice
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Two years experience coding for provider-based services in a multi-specialty practice to include surgical areas
Skills and Competencies:
1) Expert knowledge of ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 codes, CPT codes, CCI, HCPCS
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Coding Specialist – American Health Information Management Association, Certified Professional Coder – American Academy of Professional Coders
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.