Pharmacy - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Pharmacy
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
This position includes a $5,000.00 Sign On Bonus!
The primary responsibilities of the Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist II do not differ significantly from the BMC Clinical Pharmacist II position, and include providing comprehensive pharmaceutical care to all patients across the Baystate Health System. The primary differentiation for this pharmacist position is the expectation for the team member to be flexible in their daily work location (as defined by BH Pharmacy policy and procedure) and to ensure appropriate training and understanding of workflows, policies, procedures, etc. across each of the acute care pharmacy locations.
Under the direction of a Pharmacy Manager, the Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist II will perform a variety of duties including; age appropriate clinical pharmacy services, evaluation of medication orders for appropriateness, monitoring and patient follow up; drug information consultations, and support of the pharmacy department operations. This Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist will maintain competency, training, and ongoing education of pharmaceutical knowledge, integrated technology, and practice model changes. The Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist is also expected to adhere to all departmental and organizational policies and procedures as well as adherence to all the applicable laws and regulations pertinent to the proper management of pharmacy practice. As defined by the Pharmacy Leadership Team, the Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist will be expected to meet all departmental specific goals set forth on an annual basis.
As an integrated member of the Pharmacy Team, the Flex Team Clinical Pharmacist is expected to actively participate in and maintain competency in the core areas of the inpatient pharmacy setting across each of the acute care pharmacy locations in the health system (Clinical order verification/drug information, USP 797 compounding, etc.)
1) Provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care to all patients which includes the evaluation of medication orders: Effectively utilizes the Clinical Information System, to evaluate all orders for correct drug, strength, and dose specific to patient population, method of administration, allergies, dosing interval, drug interactions, duplication of therapy, stability/compatibility and formulary status. Maintains accurate documentation of all clinical interventions/clinical notes. Demonstrates an acceptable/safe rate of orders verified per hour and accurate clinical order verification as determined by the departmental standards. Performs all clinical duties assigned to pharmacist position which may include IV to PO dosing, Antimicrobial stewardship programs, etc. In the event the pharmacist is unable to perform their daily duties, they are expected to appropriately hand-off the task as necessary.
2) Distributive Pharmacy Services: Maintains compliance with the departmental expectations of accurately reviewing, verifying, and dispensing all pharmaceuticals in compliance with the departmental policies and procedures including regulatory compliance measures. Understands the basic modes of delivery and expectations around turn around time, batching, and reconciliation of all doses dispensed. Develops the required skills to successfully integrate pharmacy technology into clinical pharmacist's responsibilities and maintains competency and training as required
3) Provides drug information services to medical, nursing and ancillary staff: Demonstrates a clear understanding of the questions and efficiently retrieves pertinent patient specific information to research and formulate an accurate response in a timely manner.
4) Competency and Training: Demonstrates the minimum requirements as determined by the Pharmacy Leadership Team surrounding the clinical and operational tasks within the pharmacy locations, USP 797 sterile compounding, and integrated pharmacy technology. The incumbent is required to complete all departmental and organizational requirements set forth via web based training (WBT), mandatory live educational sessions, etc. Maintain compliance and accurate records of all continuing education units (CEU), licensure renewals, and ancillary certifications as required by the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy. Maintains professional skill development/education through literature searches, changes in clinical practice guidelines, new medication therapy, etc.
5) Regulatory Compliance: Documents and manages controlled substances in accordance with all state and federal guidelines. Demonstrates competency and understanding of the Joint Commission Medication Management Standards and the appropriate policies supporting the compliance of such standards at BH. (including USP 797 requirements). Maintains compliance with all Department of Public Health (DPH) standards surrounding infection control, health and safety standards, and compliance measures
6) Communication and Engagement: Maintains compliance in utilizing the following modes of communication as deemed appropriate per the BH Pharmacy and site-specific policies and procedures: email, web paging, shift to shift communication logs, and verbal hand off. Understanding the avenues for additional decision support are required. (I.e. Supervisor on Call and Chain of Command). Active participation in working committees, performance improvement teams, etc. to assist in the evaluation, planning, training, and implementation of such initiatives to improve clinical quality, safety, and/or regulatory compliance
7) This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Leadership has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
Required Work Experience:
1) PGY-1 Residency or at least 3 years of Hospital Pharmacy experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Possesses excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, able to work independently and in new situations, as well as within a team-based setting, and demonstrate basic proficiency in computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Pharmacy (Required)
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist – Board of Pharmacy Specialist, Licensed Pharmacist – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.