Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Possesses and utilizes significant technical knowledge and skill regarding principles and techniques of laboratory medicine as well as instrumentation. Performs a wide variety of assays/procedures within a clinical laboratory service with documented expertise. Works independently and assesses test results for validity prior to reporting. Position requires excellent verbal communication, significant computer skills and ability to interface with a broad spectrum of health care professionals in a collaborative manner.
1) Verifies appropriateness of specimens, accurately labels and identifies specimens. Alerts appropriate health care provider(s) regarding critical results
2) Carries out analytical procedures utilizing manual or automated methods, following written protocols. Verifies validity of results prior to reporting by observing established quality control criteria prior to reporting. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy and precision with minimal repetition or problems. A.S. degreed incumbent demonstrates significant documented skill and experience and is a resource to other staff in at least one section of the laboratory service.
3) Performs assays and reports results within established Turnaround Times. Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Communicates regarding issues that may affect quality of results and/or Turnaround Time.
4) A.S. degreed incumbent demonstrates high level technical, interpretive and evaluation skills. Serves as a resource to identify or solve problems. Communicates with work team and/or supervisor regarding problems. Performs basic trouble shooting of instrumentation, referring issues to supervisor as necessary.
5) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Records of work performed, quality control and documentation of issues are thorough and complete, consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and health care providers.
6) As assigned, participates in special projects or studies. Assists in orientation and training of new employees and assists in teaching of students
7) Maintains awareness of and follows all corporate and BHS Pathology compliance policies and procedures
8) Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
Required Work Experience:
1) No experience required but must but must be eligible to sit for the MT certification exam
2) AS MLT: 3 – 5 years
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Basic Laboratory skills acquired during clinical rotations
2) In process of formal orientation to specific job requirements within department
3) AS MLT: Possesses advanced technical ability and knowledge
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science: Clinical Laboratory Science (Required)
Medical Laboratory Technician – American Society for Clinical Pathology
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.