Nutrition - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Nutrition
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the department leadership, the Registered Dietitian (RD) practices within the Academy of Nutrition Dietetic's Scope of Practice in Nutrition Care and Scope of Professional Performance, the MA Statutes and Regulations (Dietitians and Nutritionists) and demonstrates Baystate Health's core values. The RD demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide expected standards of care based on physical, psycho-social, cultural, educational spiritual, safety and age-appropriate considerations of patients. The RD assumes responsibility for the patient's nutrition plan of care and is held accountable for decisions specific to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the nutrition plan of care. The RD provides care directly to patients and in collaboration with other health care team members. The RD participates in committees and/or PI initiatives. The RD seeks to improve knowledge and skill, complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies and is currently registered with Commission on Dietetic Registration and licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist.
1) Demonstrates organizational skills that maintain safe delivery of the standard of care for assigned patients/families. Manages own assignment by delegating effectively based on patient needs and skills of team members when indicated.
Conducts accurate age appropriate, clinical assessments; identifies and prioritizes patient/family strengths, needs and priorities; develops, implements and evaluates the patient's individualized plan of care. Documents all assessments according to policy. Adheres to Nutrition Care Process:
-Analyzes and synthesizes the assessment data to accurately identify nutrition problems.
-Integrates current evidence, cultural/religious needs with critical appraisal of assessment data to make nutrition diagnosis.
-Develops patient/family centered plan of care in collaboration with interdisciplinary team and determines monitoring/evaluation methods to improve or resolve nutrition diagnosis.
-Recognizes changes in patient status and adjusts interventions appropriately.
-Seeks assistance on complex cases from the Dietitian Educator or senior dietitians.
3) Provides effective therapeutic diet education to patient/families utilizing methods such as Motivational Interviewing (outpt) and Teach Back (inpt and outpt).
4) Orders and manages parenteral nutrition (PN) effectively and anticipates discharge needs in collaboration with physicians; electrolyte/acid-base, divalents, micronutrients, macronutrients, glycemic control and fluid. (As required based on location and patient population)
5) Orders and manages tube feedings (TF) effectively and anticipates discharge needs in collaboration with physicians: macro nutrients, micro nutrients, glycemic control and fluid. (As required based on location and patient population)
6) Demonstrates respect for patient/family dignity and privacy in all patient/family interactions. Establishes and maintains mutual trust within the dietitian-patient/family relationship, engages patient/family participation in care.
7) Exercises independent order writing privilege appropriately to deliver timely nutritional care: therapeutic diet change, consistency modification, supplements, PN, TF and nutrition related lab values (inpt). Utilizes resources effectively and considers cost-benefit. (Inpatient only)
8) Addresses patient experience concerns promptly and objectively. Escalates to leadership as needed.
9) Recognizes ethical dilemmas within one's practice area and uses available resources to intervene effectively.
10) Assists with nutrition support discharge plan utilizing appropriate resources and referrals including community resources seeking guidance from the Dietitian Educator on complex cases; communicates plan and collaborates with the patient/family regarding nutrition discharge plans. (As required based on location and patient population).
11) Participates in departmental committees.
12) Collects data for PI projects and/or research.
13) Serves as resource and provides nutrition education to community at large.
14) Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes to maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civiliy and acceptance toward all employees, patients, and visitors.
15) Demonstrates effective communication skills: written and verbal.
16) Successfully completes annual competencies and mandatory education requirements.
17) Demonstrates progress in meeting professional goals.
18) Adheres to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics professional code of ethics.
19) Precepts dietetic interns.
Required Work Experience:
1) 1 year of work experience in pertinent area of clinical nutrition and proven competency to meet level 2 practice
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Sound knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy including nutrition focused physical exam related to assigned patient care
2) Ability to critically review literature
3) Ability to apply critical thinking to nutrition care process and to address problems/situation
4) Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to patients, public and care providers
5) Ability to function independently on assigned patient care units/services
6) Ability to counsel and educate patients and their families
7) General knowledge of electronic medical records, electronic diet office, MS Office
8) Organizational awareness
9) Critical thinking skills
10) Computer skills: MS Office, EHR
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Nutrition (Required), Master of Science: Nutrition
Licensed Dietician – Other, Registered Dietician – Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.