Child Life Specialists - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Child Life Specialists
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
The Child Life Specialist is responsible for providing child life-focused care to children and their families served in various health care settings. Individualized therapeutic interventions are facilitated through collaboration with the patient, family, and health care team members.
The choice of play outlets, educational approaches, and emotional support is built upon a strong foundation of child life theory and expertise gained through ongoing practice experiences and intentional commitment to ongoing child life education. The child life specialist functions as an integral partner of the health care team, facilitating patient- and family-centered support and advocating and enabling psychosocially sound practices across the continuum of care.
CCLS I – Proficient Practice: The child life specialist practicing at this level is applying skills and knowledge obtained through their internship, previous employment, or received during the period since employment at Baystate Health System. This clinician requires ongoing direct education and mentoring by senior child life specialists and health care team colleagues. This description covers the essential functions of the position.
The incumbent is expected to perform similar and related duties as assigned. The Child Life Manager is responsible for ensuring that the child life specialist consistently meets the necessary behaviors.
1) Anticipates, initiates and responds collaboratively to provide developmentally appropriate procedural teaching for patients and families utilizing available resources.
2) Identifies patient/family learning needs, readiness to learn, and choices. Meets patient/family needs by using appropriate internal/external educational resources. Recognizes and respects consequences of patient/family decisions.
3) Recognizes, addresses, and utilizes therapeutic play to facilitate mastery and coping.
4) Assists patient/family in identifying concerns and seeking assistance to advocate for patient/family needs.
5) Completes Minimum Requirements and Additional Responsibilities at CCLS I, Proficient Level- from the Clinical Recognition Program listing.
1) Child Life Internship & at least 6 months related work experience
Must be able to balance a wide variety of patient/family/program needs to best address an individualized care plan for patients and families seen in all areas where Child Life Services are provided. Must communicate positively with patients/families & staff. Must be highly engaged with child life role and bring an energetic, professional demeanor to each encounter.
Child Life Specialist Certification
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.