Constant Companions - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Constant Companions
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
This is a per diem, night shift, 11p-730a, Behavioral Resource Tech position located in Greenfield, MA. This is an overnight awake position.
- Active Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR license with American Heart Association
A constant companion is responsible for providing continuous observation of the patient or patients they are assigned to. This role is to insure that the patient does nothing to harm themselves or others. This role must maintain a safe environment and interact with the patient, family, and staff in a caring professional manner. This role entails reporting any changes in the patient's condition or behavior to the nurse immediately and documenting per unit policy during their shift. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
1) Provides age appropriate care to patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups child through adult: children, adolescent, geriatric.
2) Develops and maintains good human relations skills. Introduces self by name to patient and staff. Consistently displays a respectful, empathetic, and caring attitude toward patients and families 100% of the time. Interacts with other members of the health care team RN, CNA, MHC, MD, etc. in a professional manner. Accepts changes in assignments to accommodate the patient's needs. Accepts constructive criticism as demonstrated by positive behavioral changes, if indicated.
3) Provides constant observation of the patient/s intervening as necessary to ensure patient safety. Independently communicates patient information and observations promptly to the RN. Actively listens to the patient and acts in a caring professional manner. Follow plan of care as directed by RN. Documents safety checks per unit policy. Follows directions from the RN in regards to limitations and privileges the patient has at all times.
4) Possesses the ability to redirect the patient to a different activity. Possesses ability to deescalate a patient and maintain a therapeutic environment. Observes and reports any significant occurrences in the patient's condition and behavior to the RN. Receives report from the RN and off going constant companion when reporting for duty. Reports off to the RN and on coming constant companion 100% of the time. Provides immediate care to maintain the patient's safety. For example, maintain integrity of oxygen tubing, IV lines, Foley catheter tubing and maintain fall protocol.
5) Maintains a safe environment for the patient. Remains with the patient at all times per the plan of care. It is the constant companion's responsibility to report off to another staff member during breaks or any time the constant companion will not be in direct visual contact with the patient. Demonstrates the knowledge and skill in maintaining a safe environment following the guidelines in the constant companion responsibilities. Utilizes the Hand off Communication process to identify at risk behaviors and has an understanding of the care for the behavior. Accompanies the patient off the unit as directed by the nurse and remains with the patient at all times in these areas. Reports any safety hazards to the RN.
6) Assist patient with ADLs as needed. For example, ambulate patient to the bathroom, assist with meals and daily ambulation.
7) Participates in competency validations, educational activities and staff meetings. Completes all mandatory in-services and web strategies. Attends and participates at staff meetings. Attends annual mandatory validations. Attends all additional programs as required. Continually seeks to improve skill level and knowledge base.
8) Patients and customers first. Communicates to patients that they are a high priority even during busy times. Treats patient information as confidential. Displays sensitivity to patients through non- verbal communication. Utilizes body language such as eye contact, smiling, etc. to demonstrate interest in patient.
9) Demonstrates and models principals of service excellence in support of the patient experience and SPIRIT program.
Required Work Experience:
1) None Required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Direct Health Care, Psych Sitter, or Human Svcs
Skills and Competencies:
1) Reading comprehension, writing, and following directions
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.