Surgical Services - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Surgical Services
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
The anesthesia Technician under the general supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN) and/or physician performs a variety of routine direct and indirect patient care activities and technical skills in the anesthesia setting within the established policies and procedures of the Department. This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform other similar and/or related duties as assigned after demonstrating competency.
1) First look at troubleshooting and maintenance of anesthesia equipment with equipment status report to Clinical Engineering. Maintains equipment repair records. Performs cleaning and disinfecting of TEE probes & Anesthesia equipment. Prepares the OR for anesthesia, setting up the appropriate IV solutions and fluid warmer based on the procedure and/or physician request.
2) Provides Anesthesia room set-up, turnover, and technical support for all types of cases, including OB, Centennial, Chestnut Surgery Center, IVF, Cardiac, Trauma, Remote Site, Endoscopy, Cancer Center, and Difficulty Airway. Supports and assists the difficult airway team in the preparation of equipment on the airway carts.
3) Is responsible for maintaining continuing education. Participates in organizational performance improvements as directed.
4) Maintains OR anesthesia supplies and equipment; including ordering and restocking. Performs daily I-stat Q.C. and monthly Q.C. as set forth by Anesthesia on other equipment. Assists with equipment set up and/or supplies during emergency situations as directed by the physician and/or RN.
5) Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients: Adults, Adolescents, Children, Infants & Toddlers, and Neonates.
6) Knows and follows proper procedures for anesthesia supplies and equipment. Initiates preliminary review and troubleshooting resolutions of problem equipment. Communicates the status of all equipment-related issues to clinical engineering. Informs charge RN of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, aseptic, and infection control prior to completion of scheduled shift. Completes daily inspection and cleaning of equipment in assigned areas. Removes faulty equipment from the area, labels it appropriately, and reports to Clinical Engineering, or the appropriate Department and Charge RN. Reports to OR prior to completion of the procedure in a timely manner. Prepares OR for Anesthesia according to the procedure. Follows policies/procedures relative to Body Substance Precautions. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment at all times. Maintains sterile field when assisting in the opening of sterile supplies and packs. Reports break-in sterile technique promptly to RN.
7) Inspects and evaluate the safety of equipment and or supplies while cleaning and or restocking in accordance with established policy and procedure. Insures that the airway cart is appropriately stocked and maintained. Transports airway cart to team in a timely manner.
8) Participates in staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory in-service updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Shows initiative when learning new procedures.
9) Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Demonstrates responsible and cost-conscious use of supplies and resources. Assists in maintaining established supply PAR levels 100% of the time as defined by the needs of the unit and the Anesthesia ordering schedule. Communicates the need for necessary supplies.
10) Provides appropriate patient care within defined limits. Daily, as per standard, sets up equipment/supplies for each machine and case and for emergency cases. Provide necessary and appropriate equipment to assigned operating rooms as requested by Anesthesia staff and/or by the OR schedule. Follows procedural protocols associated with set up, maintenance, cleaning, and sterilization of equipment. Appropriately cleans and cares for specialty instrumentation as directed by the team leader. Follow detailed instructions in order to set up and clean specialty equipment (i.e., blood warmer, TEE, anesthesia machine, difficult airway carts). Shows initiative to perform duties independently or with minimal direction.
Required Work Experience:
1) Must demonstrate competency in reading and mathematics as verified by an aptitude test
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 6 months to 1 year in a hospital setting
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must be capable of following detailed instructions, possess good interpersonal skills, and be able to perform a number of activities according to priority
2) Moderate physical strength and effort are required
3) Good hand-to-eye coordination, mechanical ability, intact or corrected vision, and hearing required
4) Able to think independently and work under stressful and emergent situations
5) May have supervisory duties depending on years of experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.