Staff Assistant - Baystate Health
Category(s): Administrative Support, Staff Assistant
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
This position reports to the Manager. Provides a wide range of administrative and executive level support to Department. Works with direction and little to no supervision, as projects mature.
This position performs various administrative duties. The Admin Coor assists the department leadership in the general handling of his/her activities. This is accomplished by acting as administrative coordinator and communications link with Baystate Health and department personnel, other departments, clients, patients, and other outside contacts. This includes a good general knowledge of the Department's business, organization, people, policies, procedures, and structure, and enough resourcefulness and self-confidence to ensure effective and efficient communications and operational activities. Inquisitiveness, emotional intelligence, and flexibility are beneficial qualities because of the general nature of the position and the diverse missions of the Department. Must be highly self-directed; possess strong organization skills, including the ability to handle multiple, simultaneous projects with shifting responsibilities and priorities independently and in a team environment. Must have strong customer service skills and must have excellent communication skills both orally and in writing. Must be flexible and able to adapt to quickly changing priorities. Responsible for reporting local/departmental/system challenges and outcomes to manager and leadership and seeking support in a timely manner.
This position will also support other leaders in the Department, including all Directors / Chiefs of Divisions, and managers. This position answers inquiries concerning department activities, operations, policies and procedures with support from the manager as appropriate. Incumbent provides the highest level of secretarial, clerical, and administrative support services to the department leadership including maintaining internal and external contacts, maintaining the calendar, preparing correspondence in final form, receiving visitors, scheduling meetings, maintaining files, and conducting special projects as assigned. Assumes responsibility and brings focused attention to issues and inquiries received with support and report out to leadership and team members when appropriate. Duties require a thorough knowledge of department responsibility to gather data and prepare reports, answer correspondence, conduct projects, etc. Collaborates with other support staff and provides back up coverage to others as needed.
1) Charged with the management and scheduling of meetings and calendars for the department leaders including all Directors/Chiefs of Divisions and managers where applicable. Coordination and prepration of meeting materials including follow-up and confirmation of meeting details and agendas.
2) Responsible for the timely tracking, collecting and preparation of highly confidential information appropriately and professionally. Projects include but are not limited to tracking and meeting preperation, survey distribution, collection and reporting of data where applicable, using complex formulas, macros and calculations in Excel, and compliance tracking/reporting initiatives, while identifying/reporting gaps in process. Offering solutions to identified problems and synthesizing processess.
3) Interacts frequently with a wide variety of personnel including executives, medical staff and/or outsiders in a highly professional and efficient manner to obtain or relay information, arrange meeting, gather data, etc. Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls and responds to general inquiries or routes to appropriate personnel.
4) Executes the coordination and scheduling of rotations with the department where applicable. Acts as the liaison between educational program directors and the department. Additionally participates and coordinates orientations for allied health students completeing clinical rotations where applicable.
5) Synthesizes, maintains, and revises record-keeping and filing systems, and classifies, sorts and files correspondence, articles, records and other documents.
6) Assists in monitoring department budgets and accounts and reports variances as appropriate. Accepts receipts and invoices for non-routine expenditures. Maintains inventory of office supplies, participates in evaluating and recommending purchase of office equipment, and monitors equipment service contracts.
7) Coordinates the development and distribution of departmental newsletters.
8) Maintains leadership calendar and relieves leadership of specified executive and administrative support duties. Interacts and represents leader as liaison with management staff, administrative offices and departments throughout the institution.
9) Assists in the maintainence of administrative and clinical operational policies and procedures.
10) Where applicable, takes the lead for the coordination and follow-up of administrative support needs for the physicians and CRNAs including documentation of academic in-service trainings for clinical and non-clinical personnel..
11) Where applicable, accountable for the coordination of physician and CRNA hospital onboarding when manager is not available.
12) Assists with the tracking and progress reporting of provider compliance with hospital safety education standards and other designated requirements with support from the manager.
13) Effectively manages multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail, and brings closure to projects and assignments, plans ahead, and initiates activities critical to the department and organization. Must also demonstrate creativity, flexibility at a moment's notice to change and respond effectively given the demands of the day. Responsible for reporting challenges, progress, and outcomes of projects in a timely manner.
14) Prepares complex administrative reports, presentations, statements, rosters, etc. as directed. Performs difficult data and/or information gathering, develops complex spreadsheets, graphs, drafts, etc. and prepares special reports and analyses for review by Chair and others. Requires expertise in applicable departmental software and systems. Requires excellent organizational, interpersonal, communications/writing, project management, and customer service skills in serving multiple demands from department.
15) Reports status of activities and projects to leadership at monthly staff meetings. Responsible for requesting support when needed to ensure timely and accurate completion of projects.
Required Work Experience:
1) Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in office assistance and administration required
2) Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point expertise and proficiency is required
3) Strong project management skills
4) Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communications/writing, project management, and customer service skills in serving multiple demands from department
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Secretarial, Organizational, Project Management and Administrative Skills
2) Personal Qualities (Foresight): The ability to learn and then anticipate what is to be done on the Chair's behalf and how he wants it accomplished
3) Able to set priorities and judge priorities in terms of Chair's needs and time
4) (Interpersonal Skills): Having a sensitive and cooperative attitude in working relationships with individuals at times
5) Know whom to approach and how to achieve end results
6) Encourage and develop good rapport with all staff
7) Effective writing and verbal skills
8) Know when to assert and when to hold back
9) (Loyalty): The importance of protecting confidential matters pertaining to the leadership business life cannot be overemphasized
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.